Comics Studies has come to SF State!
Courses that count towards the minor:
- CMX 325 (HUM 325) Comics & Culture
- CMX 304 (HUM/LS 304) Making Comics 1
CMX 540 Topics in Comics:
- SF Underground
- Queer Comics
- Political Cartooning
- CMX 625 Advanced Readings in Comics
- HIST 304 Teaching History through Comics
- ENG 300/CW 501 Graphic Memoir
- COMM 428 Health Communication in Visual and Graphic Medicine
- GEOG 434 The Geography of Health & Health Care
- LS 426 Thought & Image
- WGS 580 Feminism and the Speculative: Another World is Possible
- GER 620 German Comics in English: Encounters, Conflicts, & Changes
- AFRS 675 Afrofuturism: Africana Speculative Fiction, Comics, and Music
- HUM 706 Image & Culture (Comics)
FALL 2021 Comics Studies Offerings!!
- CMX 304 (HUM 304/LS 304) Making Comics 1 Tyler Cohen
- CMX540 Topics in Comics: Superheroes Shawn Taylor
- GER 620s German Comics in English: Encounters, Conflicts, & Changes T/Th 2-3:15 online synchronously Prof Olivia Albiero
- GEOG 434 The Geography of Health & Health Care Prof Courtney Donovan
Please Note, Professor Sousanis is on sabbatical F2021 and will return S2022. He will still be available for advising, etc. email@example.com
SPRING 2021 Comics Studies Offerings!
- HIST 304 Teaching History through Comics T/Th 9:30-10:45 Prof. Trevor Getz
- CMX 304 Making Comics I M 4-6:45 Prof. Nick Sousanis (also listed as HUM304 & LS304)
- CMX 540 Topics in Comics: Manga T/Th 12:30-1:45 Hanako Asakura
- CMX 540 Topics in Comics: Queer Comics MW 11-12:15 Tyler Cohen
- COMM 428 Health Communication in Visual and Graphic Medicine (a 2-unit class) Thurs 2:00-3:40 synchronous Prof. Chris Koenig (Additional 1-unit independent study for Comics Studies minors for doing a comics making project.)
- HUM 706 Image & Culture (Comics) W 4-6:45 Prof. Nick Sousanis
- LS426 Thought & Image MW 12:30-1:45 Prof. Nick Sousanis
Want to know more about the Rue Archive of Comic Book and Adventure Strip Collection - visit online at the Library here.
FALL 2020 Offerings
- CMX325 Comics & Culture (also listed as HUM 325) w/Prof. Sousanis M/W 11-12:15
- CMX304 Making Comics (also listed as LS304) w/Prof. Sousanis M 4-6:45
- HIST 304 Teaching History with Comics w/Prof Getz T/Th 12:30-1:45
- Geog 434 The Geography of Health and Health Care w/Prof Donovan 9:30-10:45am
- LS426 Thought & Image w/Prof. Sousanis 12:30-1:45
- HUM (or CMX) 540 Topics in Comics Political Cartooning - is a maybe for fall...
Check out our Spring 2020 offerings...
Fall 2019 Comics Classes!!!
HUM 325/CMX 325* MW 11-12:15 Comics & Culture (our introductory comics readings, theory + making course), Prof Nick Sousanis
LS 304/COMX 304* W 4-6:45 Making Comics (intro to making - no prior drawing experience required!), Tyler Cohen (w. Sousanis assisting)
WGS 580 W 9:30-12:15 Feminism and the Speculative: Another World is Possible, Prof Martha Kenney
HIST 304 MW 11-12:15 Teaching History with Comics, Prof Jackson
AFRS 675 M 4-6:45 Afrofuturism: Africana Speculative Fiction, Comics, and Music, Prof Dawn-Elissa Fischer
GER 620 W 4-6:45pm German Comics in English: Encounters, Conflicts, and Changes, Prof Olivia Albiero
GEOG 434 T-Th 9:30-10:45 The Geography of Health and Health Care (Graphic Medicine - using comics to address health), Prof Courtney Donovan
*Note - we have a new prefix for Comics Studies “CMX”! Those courses co-listed with CMX are the SAME class, same time, room, etc. Only separate for enrollment purposes.
SFSU Comics Studies Archive Reception!
Please join us Thursday, February 28, 2019 from 6-8pm at SFSU's J. Paul Leonard Library Special collections to inaugurate this unique archive of nearly 1,000 comic books spanning 1938-1952 collected by the late Thomas Rue as a boy. We’ll begin in LIB 460 (Archives) with remarks from Virginia Rue and Comics Historian Joe Field (Flying Colors Comics), who will discuss the collection’s historical significance. Wine & Cheese reception immediately follows at 7 in LIB 121. Evite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/sfsu-comics-studies-archive-reception-tickets-55670202073
We graduated our first Five Students with the Minor this May!
Spring 2019 Offerings
Fall 2018 Offerings
HUM 325 Comics and Culture M/W 12:30-1:45 (Sousanis)
LS 304 Making Comics M 4-645 (Sousanis)
WGS 580 Feminism and the Speculative: Another World is Possible Thursday 4-6:45 (Kenney)
Core requirement (3 units)
HUM 325 Comics and Culture
Electives (9 units)
Select three courses from the following:
LS 304 Making Comics
HIST 304 Teaching History with Comics
LS 604 Advanced Comics Making
HUM 540 Topics in Comics
WGS 580 Feminism & the Speculative: Another World is Possible *Must request permission to count towards minor
AFRS 675 Afrofuturism coming Spring 2019 Monday, 4pm to 6:45pm
ENG 300/CW 501 Graphic Memoir and Biography
Also, LS426 Thought & Image is currently counting towards the minor
More courses and announcements coming soon...
Drop a line to Nick Sousanis at firstname.lastname@example.org