Frequently Asked Questions for Liberal Studies Majors

General Advising

Where do I go for help with general education (GE) advising?

The Advising Resource Center (HUM 112) should be your first stop for GE advising.

What should I bring when I come to Liberal Studies drop-in advising?

A current unofficial transcript, your updated planning worksheet, and any forms that you might need signed.

Do I need to take LS 400 before LS 401?

No, you do not need to take one class before the other. You can also take the classes concurrently.

Do I need to select an emphasis if I have, or want, to do a minor?

No. A minor can be used instead of an emphasis pattern. You should inform a Liberal Studies adviser and work directly with the department where you'll be doing the minor.

Future Teachers

I want to be a teacher. Do I need to chose Teacher Prep as my emphasis area?

No. However, the Teacher Prep emphasis was designed to give you exposure to as many disciplines as possible that are in the California standards, and we believe it prepares you better (content-wise) for your career as an elementary school teacher.

Which courses should I take to better prepare me for taking the CSET?

The courses on the Elementary Teaching Preparation emphasis were chosen to give you classes that are as close as the CSET as possible, in terms of content knowledge. That said, it is very hard to cover all subject areas in the CSET, and you should not consider the courses as sufficient to prepare you for the test. However, we believe that if you choose the teaching prep emphasis you will be better situated not only to pass the CSET but, more importantly, to be an effective teacher in your future classroom.

What if I want to be a middle school teacher? What do you recommend?

As for an elementary school teacher, there are many routes for you to pursue. One is to take coursework that allows you to get an introductory or supplementary subject matter authorization from the state of California. This works the following way. Once you obtain your multiple-subject credential, depending on the coursework you took in college, you can apply for a either an introductory or a supplementary credential to teach a single subject (e.g. math). This credential authorizes you to teach, on top of your K – 5 original multiple-subject credential, K – 9 single subject. Check the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for more information.

How can I take so many courses in a given subject for my introductory authorization and still be able to graduate?

There are many different ways, depending on the authorization you’re interested in. The Liberal Studies faculty is working on suggested courses that can be used for your emphasis. For example, for an authorization in sciences, you could combine your GE Segment II science courses (6 credits), Area II Liberal Studies core (6 credits) and your 15 credits from an emphasis to get close to the required 32 credits.